Popular Posts

Monday, October 4, 2010

The silence of the Ukrainian forest is deafening

One afternoon Dima suddenly stopped the Lada and dropped Zach, Lucy and me off the side of the road in this enormous forest. He drove off and was gone for about and hour. Zach asked Lucy if she knew where he went, and she just shrugged. I think she had been through this sort of thing before, because she just found a fallen pine tree and sat down to wait. It was hot and we were thirsty. The ground was so dry that the pine needles and branches snapped and popped under our feet. Zach and I decided to walk back into the forest a ways. Every now and then a car would whoosh by on the road, and after it had passed it was like the silence began to close around us like a heavy blanket. I have never heard such silence in my life, before or since.

These forests were witness to some of the fiercest battles in the Great Patriotic War. I was told that the huge indentations in the forest floor were bomb craters. These woods are also home to wild boars, some of whom are radioactive.

No comments:

Post a Comment