Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mishka, the hairless cat

Irina has a fascination with all things Egyptian. Apparently, she has a good friend who has traveled there and returned home with stories and gifts. An interesting observation about Irina was that she loved to read the same books over and over, and she would bring them out either before or after dinner, and while sitting in her favorite chair, entertain herself. One of these was a book about Egypt, the sort of book that might have been part of one of those "Time-Life" series that one could buy through a late-night infomercial (maybe still can, I don't do television these days).

Meet Mishka, Irina's hairless Egyptian cat. If you don't know me well, I will first share that I love cats, everything about them. The Ukrainian people seem to be very protective of and caring about their pets, although it is strictly taboo to touch any stray that crosses one's path. I was informed that this mostly has to do with concern of illness, and I can imagine that veterinary care for animals is very limited. Mishka was the first hairless cat that I had ever met, and she was my saving grace during some of the times when we were confined to Lucy's apartment for one reason or another, someone I could interact with without the language barrier. Mishka was extremely vocal and strangely affectionate. Holding her was like holding a heating pad; her skin was that warm. You might have guessed by now that I fell in love with Mishka. Irina recognized that and offered to help me find my own "Mishka" to take home with me. Sadly, the laws governing bringing animals into the States prohibited even considering that, but it was such a sweet gesture on her part. Mishka, if you can hear me, I look forward to seeing you again next year.

1 comment: