Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

River

There are two ways to discover you're not in the best of shape. One is to go on a jog or workout at the gym and find that you're about to collapse after a short while. Another would be to follow two 20-something young men into a river out in the middle of the wilderness for a swim to the other side only to realize halfway across where the water is 15 meters deep that you have made the grand mal mistake of your life. I think it was sheer fear-induced adrenaline coupled with the complete burning determination that I would not die in the Seversky Donets river that got me to the other bank. What's worse was that the water was deep almost to within inches of the far bank. After an hour I managed to swim back. I was never so happy to feel black slimy mud between my toes as that afternoon. I never mentioned this before now. Here are some pictures of my epiphany.  

1 comment:

  1. So glad you made it back to the other side, though you know we wouldn't have let you go under.

    ReplyDelete